SA secures Afcon money

The Afcon Cup is expected to bring economic benefits and other spin-offs for South Africa.

Sport and Recreation SA director general Alec Moemi speaks at a news conference in Johannesburg, Friday, 4 November 2011 about an inquiry into the financial affairs of Cricket SA. Picture: Werner Beukes/SAPA

PRETORIA - Money has been secured to fund the 2013 African Cup of Nations (Afcon) tournament, Sports and Recreation Director General Alec Moemi said on Thursday.

Speaking at a post-cabinet briefing in Pretoria, he failed to provide specific details about the funds.

Moemi could not say how much taxpayers would cough up to host the tournament.

But the director general did announce that the tournament would cost more than previously thought.

He also defended the new R670million price tag, saying that the tournament would have economic benefits and other spin-offs.

Moemi described the effort to secure funds as a "painful process".

Host cities will not bear the burden alone, as the provincial and national governments have made funds available too, he said.

Government guarantees were agreed upon and will be signed in October before the final draw takes place.