We need to defend ourselves - Moti

Zunaid Moti said he was thankful the detective in his case had been removed.

Johannesburg businessman Zunaid Moti (L) leaves the Brits Regional Court with his wife on 17 July, 2012. Picture: Rahima Essop/EWN

BRITS - Controversial Johannesburg businessman Zunaid Moti on Monday said he was thankful that the investigating officer in his case had been removed because of irregularities.

Moti was released on R40, 000 bail on Monday, after handing himself over to police in Hartbeespoort Dam in the North West province.

He and six other men are accused of attempted murder and robbery following an alleged hit on Brits businessman Naeem Cassim last year.

Moti claims the previous investigating officer allowed himself to be influenced by his accusers.

"The investigating officer under the circumstances in Hartbeespoort had been relieved of his responsibilities in the case.

"I'm thankful to police for bringing this and making this particular change because it will allow us proper justice being served and also give us an opportunity to defend ourselves".

The 37-year-old appeared in the Brits Regional Court on Monday, along with two of his co-accused Essa Badat and Carlos De Souza.

They were all granted bail.