Shack fire victims rebuild homes
Mandela Park residents say they feel despondent after losing all their possessions in a fire.
CAPE TOWN - Some residents of Mandela Park in Imizamo Yethu on Monday said they felt despondent after losing all their possessions in a fire.
More than 400 people were displaced at the weekend, after the fatal blaze swept through the Hout Bay community.
One man died and about 80 shacks were gutted. The fire is believed to have been started by a candle.
Despite the cold and wet conditions, dozens of residents were hard at work. Some used spades to remove sand and mud while others tear down blackened metal sheets.
The smell of smoke still hanged in the air.
Resident, Vuyelwa Ndevu, said she was at work on Saturday when a family member informed her about the blaze. She said all she has left is her identity document and blankets.
Ndevu hopes to have her new home built by Tuesday, but admits rain may delay the process.
City officials distributed blankets and building material to the residents.
Meanwhile, at least 100 shacks also burnt down in Durban over the weekend. No injuries were reported.