WC school still without textbooks
Bloekombos Primary School says it has not received textbooks for the first two terms of the year.
CAPE TOWN - Educators at Bloekombos Primary School on Friday said they had not received any textbooks for the first two terms of the school year, despite the Western Cape Education MEC rubbishing these claims.
Western Cape ANC Leader Marius Fransman and South African Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) members distributed more than 700 textbooks at Wallacedene, Bloekombos and Ekuthuleni primary schools in Kraaifontein on Thursday.
Education MEC Donald Grant told Eyewitness News the schools had received all their required books and those outstanding are only needed from the third term.
But Bloekombos Principal Thula Batyi said they did not receive textbooks for the first and second terms.
"We've been waiting since last year for the books that were supposed to be delivered."
The Education Department has told Eyewitness News it is in the process of compiling the schools where there are textbook shortages.
Meanwhile, opposition parties have been calling for the resignation of Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga following her department's failure to deliver textbooks to Limpopo schools.
Section 27 took the department to court in a bid to force it to deliver the textbooks.
Last week, the department managed to deliver 99 percent of the books.
President Jacob Zuma has since appointed a task team to investigate the causes of the delays in delivering the textbooks.