Children suffocate in house fire
Three children were found dead in their Mossel Bay home on Thursday after suffocating.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Disaster Management Officials are again reminding residents to extinguish fires before they go to sleep.
Three children were found dead in their home near Mossel Bay on Thursday.
Their mother had used coal to make a fire, to keep them warm during the night.
It is understood that her children, aged three and six, and her 13-year-old sister suffocated.
Another man died in a shack fire in Nyanga on Thursday.
Western Cape Disaster Management's Colin Deiner emphasised it vital to put out fires.
"What people sometimes do is take a large drum and make a fire inside it. The biggest problem there is, is that the fire might not burn the structure, it displaces the oxygen and fills the air with carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide suffocates you."
The police's Malcom Pojie said their probe in the matter continues.
"We will conduct an autopsy later this week to determine the exact cause of their death. We've opened an inquest docket for further investigation."