Alex residents rebuild homes

Residents affected by a shack fire are rebuilding their homes.

Alexandra fire behind the Helen Joseph Hostel rebuild, 26 June 2012. Picture:Jacob Moshokoa/EWN

ALEXANDRA - Alexandra residents affected by a fire which gutted through several shacks on Monday began rebuilding their homes on Tuesday.

It is understood the fire was sparked by an illegal electricity connection.

The shacks were burnt to the ground behind the Helen Joseph Hostel on the corner of 6th Avenue and Hofmeyer Street.

A section of 6th Avenue is still closed as residents began rebuilding their shacks before the day ended.

One resident said he now faced the daunting task of applying for a new ID book after it burnt with his other belongings.

Another said valuable property such as a television and microwave will take months of hard work to replace.

Residents who were left homeless from the fire spent the night at a nearby nursery school.

They also appealed to the community to assist with any donations as they try to slowly rebuild their lives.