Alex fire took everything, say residents

Alexandra residents who lost their homes in a fire will begin to rebuild their lives on Tuesday.

13 shacks caught alight on 25 June, 2012, behind the Helen Joseph Hostel in Alexandra, Johannesburg. Picture:Jacob Moshokoa/EWN

JOHANNESBURG - Alexandra residents who lost their homes in a fire on Monday will begin to rebuild their lives on Tuesday.

A fire ripped through shacks behind the Helen Joseph Hostel on the corner of 6th Avenue and Hofmeyer Street in northern Johannesburg.

Preliminary reports indicated the fire was started by an illegal electricity connection at one of the shacks. The fire left some 30 people homeless.

Spokesperson for Johannesburg Emergency Management Services Robert Mulaudzi confirmed 13 shacks were gutted in the fire.

No injuries were reported, he added.

Meanwhile, a man from a neighbouring shack said he was left with only the clothes on his back.

"The fire burnt my TV, fridge and ID [identity document] book. Even my son's ID book burnt in the fire".

Officials from emergency services said they were concerned because they were called to extinguish a fire on the same street a few weeks ago.

Community leaders appealed to the Department of Home Affairs to dispatch a team that will assist displaced people apply for their ID's.