Fire leaves residents stranded

Affected residents have to make alternative plans for accommodation following a fire.

20 shacks caught alight on 25 June behind the Helen Joseph Hostel in Alexandra. Picture:Jacob Moshokoa/EWN

ALEXANDRA - Residents left homeless in Alexandra, northern Johannesburg after a fire ripped through more than 20 shacks on Monday helped firefighters to clear the debris.

The shacks were burnt to the ground behind the Helen Joseph Hostel on the corner of 6th Avenue and Hofmeyer Street.

It is still unclear what sparked the fire, but some residents blamed an illegal electricity connection.

Firefighters were called to douse the massive blaze.

At least four fire trucks lined up on 6th Avenue while firefighters helped residents remove belongings they managed to save.

No injuries were reported.

It is understood residents will now have to make alternative plans for accommodation.

Emergency services officials said they were concerned because they attended to a fire on the same street less than a month ago.