Carlisle optimistic on Chappies toll
MEC Robin Carlisle says construction of Chapman's Peak Drive toll plaza will be completed in under a year.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Transport MEC Robin Carlisle on Thursday said he expected construction of the controversial Chapman's Peak Drive toll plaza to be completed in under a year.
He announced that the Hout Bay residents association has abandoned plans to bring another legal challenge against the erection of the office block.
It lost an application for an interim interdict earlier this month.
Carlisle said the court stipulated the association pay both parties legal fees, but the province agreed to foot the bill.
The MEC said it was now all systems go.
"The construction has been going ahead all the time, but it means that the legal cloud has now been removed. I expect everything to be completed around Easter of 2013."
Earlier in June, the Western Cape High Court dismissed an application by the association to halt construction of the control building.
The group, along with the Habitat Council then applied for an interim interdict to halt construction of the control building on Chapman's Peak Drive, which was dismissed.
The two-storey office will now go ahead as planned.
Association chairperson Len Swimmer said he still believes the construction is unlawful.
"The harm is detrimental to the environment."
Carlisle said due process was followed and was relieved the application was dismissed.
Earlier in 2012, protesters handcuffed themselves to scaffolding at the site making it impossible to work.
Protester, Brownyn Lankaers-Byrne, went on an 11-day hunger strike over the proposed construction.
She wanted government to build something less expensive and more environmentally friendly.