Soweto fire 'no accident'
Three children died in the early morning blaze.
JOHANNESBURG - Police said a house fire that claimed the lives of three young boys in Zola, Soweto, was no accident.
Johannesburg Emergency Management Services said the boys, aged between 3 and 10, burnt to death during the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Their father allegedly doused the house with petrol after a domestic fight.
The burnt shell of the small Soweto home was now a crime scene.
Distraught neighbours described the drama that unfolded on Tuesday evening.
One neighbour said she heard the man threaten to set the house alight during a brawl with his wife.
The witness said neighbours saw the blaze and rushed to the house.
She added that neighbours broke down the door and tried to extinguish the fire.
Philane (10), Zanele (8) and Mpumi Radebe (3) were killed while their parents sustained burns.
Both parents were taken to the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto.
The children's father now faces arrest.