Vodacom Challenge may be cancelled
The 2012 edition of the Vodacom Challenge could be called off.
JOHANNESBURG - The fate of the 2012 edition of the Vodacom Challenge hangs in the balance and could be officially called off on Tuesday.
Tournament organisers Sail are deciding whether to cancel the annual event, because English Premiership side Newcastle United and Congolese giants TP Mazembe have not signed their contracts.
The two sides were due to play Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates in the annual preseason tournament that previously featured Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United.
Tournament promoter Jabu Mathibela said an emergency meeting between the teams, the sponsors and the organisers was on the cards.
"We will convene to sort out some of the speculations that are out there. We will be issuing a formal statement to clarify all the issues."
Mathibela said the fate of the tournament will be known by the end of Tuesday.
"We're meeting from 3pm onwards. Hopefully, we can have something concrete after the meeting."
Spurs were the first non-African team to win the tournament in 2007.
The competition usually takes place in mid-July.