Metrorail plan long overdue
Western Cape Metrorail on Tuesday admitted a new plan to overhaul its service was long overdue.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Metrorail on Tuesday admitted that its new plan to overhaul its service was long overdue.
Some of the changes already implemented include the deployment of 100 security guards and 100 army reservists.
Around 700,000 people use the service every day.
Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa)'s Mosengwa Mofi said "The programme is really about putting the customer first. We want to ensure the reliability of the service. We want to change the perception that Metrorail doesn't care."
Charlotte Heyns from the Cape Town United Commuters Voice praised the proposed plan.
"We are very happy that there's a plan. We were really worried because the rail service has been deteriorating very badly."
Western Cape Transport MEC Robin Carlisle said he was happy with Metrorail's plan.
"For the very first time, Metrorail brought together every single one of the problems and challenges that they are faced with and it's a terrifying list. However, they are recognising what needs to be fixed and they are working on it."
Earlier in 2012, Carlisle threatened to take the company to court over service and security concerns.