Locals disappointed by Chappies ruling

The Hout Bay Residents’ Association is disappointed by Wednesday's High Court ruling.

Western Cape Transport MEC Robin Carlisle. Picture:EWN

CAPE TOWN - The Hout Bay Residents' Association on Wednesday said it was disappointed by the Western Cape High Court decision to dismiss its application.

The group, along with the Habitat Council, applied for an interim interdict to halt construction of the control building on Chapman's Peak Drive.

But the two-storey office will now go ahead as planned.

Association chairperson Len Swimmer said he still believes the construction is unlawful.

"The harm is detrimental to the environment."

Western Cape Transport MEC Robin Carlisle said due process was followed and said he was relieved the application was dismissed.

The MEC said the construction of the R54 million toll plaza and control building would be complete by mid-2013.

Earlier in 2012, protesters handcuffed themselves to scaffolding at the site making it impossible to work.

Brownyn Lankaers-Byrne went on an 11-day hunger strike over the proposed construction.

She wanted government to build something less expensive and more environmentally friendly.