ANC WC intends taking Helen Zille to court
The ANC threatened further legal action around the probe into a WC government contract.
CAPE TOWN - The African National Congress (ANC) on Sunday threatened further action around the probe into a contract to centralise communications between the Western Cape Government and an advertising agency.
The ANC called for the investigation of the contract in 2011 and said proper tender procedures were not followed.
Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's investigation report was leaked before it was officially released.
Madonsela last week found the awarding of the 2010 TBWA Hunt Lascaris contract lawful.
But she found evidence of maladministration and said it was improper for two of Western Cape Premier Helen Zille's special advisors to be on the bid evaluation committee.
Zille welcomed the findings, but said the entire issue was a storm in a teacup and added that if Madonsela's conclusion remained the same in the final report, she would take the matter to court.
The ANC's Songezo Mjongile said Madonsela's final report differed from the leaked draft.
"We feel the substantial issues that have been raised in our input have not been taken seriously. It is unfortunate the Public Protector has been intimidated to water down her report. It is quite a serious issue from where we sit."
Zille slammed this and said if some conclusions remain in the final report, she may take the matter to court.
Mjongile said the ANC were looking at ways to take the matter forward.
"We have to look at our legal options; we have to look at the auditor process. We think there are other avenues we can still explore and we think there is a lot that Helen Zille must still answer for."