Third suspect arrested for child killing

A third men was arrested in connection with the rape and murder of a Paarl girl.

Asemahle Ntsabo went missing from her home in Mbekweni on 21 January 2012. Picture: Supplied

CAPE TOWN - A third man has been arrested in connection with the rape and murder of a Paarl girl, Western Cape police confirmed on Friday.

Six-year-old Asemahle Ntsabo was reported missing from her Mbekweni home back in January.

Police said DNA results of remains found in the area were indeed of those of the girl.

According to the police's November Filander, the suspect is behind bars.

"The third suspect appeared in court on Thursday and he was remanded in custody."

Filander said the other men were arrested earlier in 2012.

"We arrested the first suspect on February 15 after he confessed to the murder. The second suspect was then suspect following a thorough investigation."

In April, officials recovered the girl's remains following an extensive search in the area.

Speaking to Eyewitness News , the child's mother said all she wanted was closure.

A number of children have been killed in the province in recent months.

In December, two-year-old Tariq Jacobs went missing in Mitchells Plain and his body was found a few days later in a shallow grave.

The boy's mother was charged with murder after she confessed to the crime.

She will return to court in June.

In another case, eight-year-old Savannah Tyler Mersin went missing on her way from school in February.

A week later, her body was found in a shallow grave on Muizenberg beach.

Autopsy results showed she was smothered to death.

Savannah's mother and her boyfriend were initially taken in for questioning, but were later released.

No arrests have been made in connection with that murder.