Mantashe calls for Spear boycott
Boycott the City Press newspaper until it removes ‘The Spear’, ANC’s Gwede Mantashe says
JOHANNESBURG - South Africans should boycott the City Press newspaper until in removes 'The Spear' from its website, ANC Secretary General Gwede Mantashe said on Thursday.
He also called for demonstrators to march to the Goodman Gallery in Rosebank on Tuesday.
Mantashe said the country should not buy the newspaper unless they remove a picture of President Jacob Zuma with his genitals exposed.
Protesters cheered and chanted "down with the City Press".
The secretary general also spoke about Advocate Gcina Malindi's breakdown in court and the decision not to broadcast the footage.
Mantashe said, "It [the media] didn't reflect what happened (in court)."
Earlier on Tuesday, the South Gauteng High Court ruled that the Malindi visuals cannot be broadcast.
Government spokesperson Jimmy Manyi said eNews Channel was biased for censoring the footage.
He said the visuals would have shown Malindi's deep pain and emotion, caused by the humiliation and denigration of the dignity of his client Zuma.
But the channel's Patrick Conroy said they chose not to show the visuals as it may have been a violation of their agreement with the court.
Shortly after the president's lawyer broke down, the court opted to adjourn the hearings until an unspecified date.
In court on Thursday, the judges asked questions about why the case was linked to race.
Judge Neels Claassen said at least three black art experts defended the image.
He said the experts did not think the image was insulting.
But Malindi said this was not the point and artist Brett Murray should have stopped to think before painting it.
"Murray should have asked himself 'am I going to offend?'"