Rescue operations continue at Kleinzee
A number of illegal miners remain trapped in Kleinzee diamond mine.
CAPE TOWN - The death toll of the mining accident in the diamond coast has risen to three.
The Namakhoi Municipality's Isaac Cloete said the bodies are being brought to the surface.
"They have brought one body to the surface and they have seen another two bodies in the tunnel."
Rescue operations resumed on Wednesday at the Kleinzee mine, Northern Cape to extricate the trapped miners.
According to SABC News, three miners have so far been rescued.
The police's Cherelle Ehlers said, "The whole rescue operation is being hindered by the very loose gravel that keeps on caving in. The national rescue team from Bloemfontein will be flown in to assist."
"We haven't really had reports of contact. It also makes it difficult because there is no cellphone reception there. at this stage we have no further information as to how the other miners are doing."
More than a dozen miners are still remain trapped in the diamond mine.
Nineteen illegal miners were underground on Tuesday morning, when a tunnel collapsed, killing three of them.
But social media reports suggest the death toll may have risen to as much as five.
The rescue teams on Tuesday rescued one man, who was treated for minor injuries.
Meanwhile, Free State Police said nine illegal miners are believed to have died at a mine in Welkom.
Its suspected more than 20 others are still trapped underground.
It is believed they were hunting for gold from a disused mine.
The police's Stephen Thakeng said, "According to the people who escaped, nine people are reported to be dead at this stage."
In March, 20 illegal miners were trapped at the Gravelotte gold mine on Gauteng's East Rand.
The men were mining illegally when a rock fell and trapped them underground.
The search for the miners was called off as the process was deemed too dangerous.