W.C officials work to avert initiation deaths
Western Cape Cultural Affairs officials on Wednesday said they are doing all they can to ensure that no...
Western Cape Cultural Affairs officials on Wednesday said they are doing all they can to ensure that no boys die at initiation schools in the province.
Authorities said a forum consisting of community and traditional leaders has been formed to look at the practice.
At the same, in the Eastern Cape about 200 boys were admitted to hospitals last week because of botched circumcisions.
The Cultural Affairs Department's Daniel Johnson said they only had one death in the province in 2010.
"In December 2010, there was a death but this was unrelated to the initiation practice and the young man involved was ill and the family did not declare the illness at the time of his admission at the initiation school," he said.