Boks say goodbye to Januarie
Ricky Januarie announced his retirement from international rugby on Friday. The South African Rugby Union...
Ricky Januarie announced his retirement from international rugby on Friday.
The South African Rugby Union (Saru) said the 29-year-old scrumhalf made the decision after discussions with Springbok coach Peter de Villiers.
He had been included in the preliminary Rugby World Cup squad.
Januarie has been released from his Western Province contract and will join French club Lyon after the Super Rugby tournament.
"I've had a great run in South African rugby and have some fantastic memories but the time has come to move on," said Januarie. "Lyon have offered me a new beginning and I want to concentrate all my efforts on helping them in their first season in the French Top 14."
De Villiers described Januarie as "a combative and fearless player" and said he had been part of some memorable Springbok performances.
He said he was comfortable to release Januarie as his inclusion in the preliminary Rugby World Cup squad was to offer experienced cover should other senior scrumhalves suffer injury.
"Ricky and I chatted and he knew where he stood in our Rugby World Cup plans," said De Villiers. "He has reached the stage in his career where he wants to move on and there was no reason to stand in his way.
"He has produced some memorable moments over the years and his match-winning try against New Zealand in Dunedin will be remembered as long as the Springboks play."
Januarie made the first of 47 Test caps in 2005. His last was against New Zealand in Soweto last year. He collected winners' medals at the World Under-21 championships in 2002 and Rugby World Cup in 2007 and was part of the Springbok squad that won the Tri-Nations Series and the series against the British & Irish Lions in 2009.
He recently made his 50th Super Rugby appearance for the Stormers - and 93rd for all teams in the competition.