Motlanthe defends Pikoli’s dismissal
An ad hoc committee, set up to determine the fate of suspended prosecutions head, Vusi Pikoli will...
An ad hoc committee, set up to determine the fate of suspended prosecutions head, Vusi Pikoli will officially start its work on Wednesday.
Last year President Kgalema Motlanthe decided not to reinstate Pikoli despite the Ginwala Commission of Inquiry declaring him fit to hold office.
The committee had to consider and advise parliament whether Motlanthe’s decision was correct.
The African National Congress held the majority in the committee but it was likely to come up against some robust challenges from opposition party members of Parliament in the group who wanted Pikoli to keep his job.
Pikoli was expected to make a submission before the committee.
There were calls for former president Thabo Mbeki and ex-Justice minister Brigitte Mabandla to explain themselves.
ANC chief whip, Mnyamezeli Booi, said that Motlanthe was also fully entitled to make a submission.
“If the president wanted to really submit or say something to the committee itself, the committee is quite willing to listen to that type of proposal,” said Booi.
Booi emphasised the debacle around Pikoli was a serious one, admitting that the committee had a tough task ahead.
Motlanthe wrote a letter to Parliament defending his decision.