ANCYL to continue with protests
The ANC Youth League has threatened to hold protest marches every month in the Western Cape.
CAPE TOWN - The ANC Youth League (ANCYL) on Monday reiterated it will stage a demonstration on the 27th of every month, until the Western Cape government meets its demands for improved services in poor areas.
Hundreds of protesters marched to the provincial legislature earlier in the day.
The demonstration formed part of a campaign by the League and its affiliates, lobbying for improved services in townships.
ANCYL spokesperson Magdalene Moonsamy lambasted Helen Zille, saying she should be charged with genocide.
Activist Mario Wanza called on the poor to occupy vacant land.
“We can no longer live in the Cape Flats while the rich people are living by the mountain.”
Protesters stood their ground for more than an hour, demanding Zille accept their memorandum in person.
When MEC Alan Winde eventually emerged, he was booed.
Meanwhile, Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille said the city respects the rights of residents to demonstrate if they stick to the rules.
She said the League violated two of the conditions attached to the march.
De Lille said the group gathered at Salt River Station, instead of Keizersgracht.
She added demonstrators failed to adhere to time frames stipulated in their application.
“We want to appeal to all those, who wish to participate, to please do so within the boundaries of the law so we can ensure the safety of all residents. It is their march, but it is also impacting on the daily lives of ordinary Capetonians.”
(Edited by Lindiwe Mlandu)