Malema blames mine shooting on Zuma
Julius Malema is calling for Jacob Zuma to step down after the Lonmin shooting.
JOHANNESBURG - Expelled ANC Youth League (ANCYL) President Julius Malema on Sunday called for President Jacob Zuma and Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa to step down.
Malema, who addressed workers, said Zuma did not do anything to prevent the killings at the Lonmin mine in the North West, even after 10 people had already been killed when the protest began.
A total of 34 striking mineworkers were gunned down when police opened fire on them last week Thursday.
“Today they have turned their backs against you,” Malema said.
He added that the president must step down because he betrayed the poorest of South Africans.
“President Zuma’s government has massacred our people and will continue to murder our people and that is why today they are showing no remorse.”
Malema was in Marikana over the weekend to address workers who have been on an illegal strike for over a week.
The violence that ensued was blamed on inter-union rivalry between the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Association (AMCU).
(Edited by Zethu Zulu)