CAPE TOWN - Several city and provincial authorities on Sunday said they did not believe protestors in Cape Town have been influenced or deterred by the killings in Marikana.
Police confirmed 44 people were killed and 80 injured in violent clashes between officers and striking miners at Lonmin's Marikana Mine in the North West province last week.
City officials have confirmed protestors in the Western Cape have caused at least R13 million worth of damage to infrastructure over the past few weeks.
However, the city's Safety and Security Executive Director Richard Bosman said he thinks there will be other protests this week, especially around Khayelitsha.
“There were strikes before the Lonmin issue. I expect protest action in Barcelona, Khayelitsha as well as the N2 and Borchards Quarry Road, but we are preparing accordingly. It has quietened down substantially. This could be because people who are arrested are not released immediately, but kept for a day or two.”
Meanwhile, Cape Town Mayor Patricia De Lille said the types of protests in Cape Town are different to the labour dispute issues at Lonmin's Marikana Mine.
“I don’t think the two are linked. The one that we’ve seen on our television screens is a real sad story that has to do with labour relations. The so-called protests in Cape Town claim to be around service delivery.”
Western Cape Police Commissioner Arno Lamoer said he does not think local demonstrations have been quiet for a week due to what has happened in the North West province.
“We can never say it’s died down or escalated because protesters plan when they will come up with the necessary action. Last week we arrested about 62 protesters. There’s been good interaction with the different role players in this.”
(Edited by Tamsin Wort)