‘Islamophobic killers’ due in court
The men accused of killing a Muslim man in an allegedly racist attack will appear in court on Monday.
JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng police on Sunday confirmed that the two men accused of killing a Muslim man in an allegedly anti-Islamic and racist attack will appear in the Krugersdorp Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
Mohammed Faiyaz Kazi (27) died in the Potchefstroom Hospital last week Tuesday after suffering brain damage during a fight at a fast-food outlet in Magaliesburg.
The trouble started when Kazi and a friend overheard two men mocking them on Monday.
It is alleged the men, who spoke Afrikaans, made remarks about Kazi's beard and called him Osama bin Laden.
The Rapport newspaper on Sunday quoted Trevor Buthelezi, a waiter who works at the restaurant, saying a “large, white man” kicked and hit Kazi and Anser Mahmood for several minutes.
Buthelezi apparently said spectators watched in shock, but were too afraid to help the Muslim men.
Police spokesperson Neville Malila said both suspects were arrested over the weekend and positively identified by some seven witnesses.
Malila said the pair, aged 27 and 33, faced charges of murder and assault with the intention to do grievous bodily harm.
The incident sparked widespread outrage.
Last week, former cabinet minister Ronnie Kasrils condemned the incident, saying it carried the stench of Islamophobia.
Meanwhile, Kazi’s father-in-law Hashimbhay Motara is happy the two men are behind bars.
“They did this disgusting deed, they must account for that.
“I am very proud of the police, the police did their job.”
(Edited by Thato Motaung)