Email a Friend
NPA evaluates next step in rape case
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) was evaluating the strength of its case against seven youths on...
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) was evaluating the strength of its case against seven youths on Thursday, who allegedly filmed themselves gang raping a Soweto teenager.
The seven, aged between 14 and 20, appeared in camera on Thursday, where their case was remanded until next Wednesday.
The seven accused were completely hidden from the public gaze and court proceedings were held in camera because two of them are minors.
Eyewitness News reported on Wednesday how the recording of the attack had gone viral and had led to the arrest of the seven accused.
The NPA's Mthunzi Mhaga said prosecutors will now have to decide how to proceed.
“There’s also a preliminary enquiry that will be help, in terms of the charges, on how the matter is to be dealt with in respect of the minors,” Mhaga told Eyewitness News.
Community Safety MEC Faith Mazibuko was in court and said the accused have all asked for legal assistance.
“They’ve requested for legal aid, so legal aid will be coming in to represent them,” said Mazibuko.
It was unclear if the seven will apply for bail at their next appearance.
The girl, who had been missing for three weeks, was found on Wednesday afternoon in the company of a taxi driver. He was also arrested.
She is currently being kept at a place of safety.
(Edited by Clare Matthes)
Outsourced workers finally accept TUT’s insourcing agreement
#Sona2016: Parliament’s rules will be put to the test
Police captain linked to double murder in Parys
Franschhoek bush fire rages on
‘Heads of argument in Hewitt’s appeal show no remorse’
Update: Ses'khona members gather to march after delay