WC ANC plans to approach Public Protector over de Lille home renovations
The ANC claims to have invoices made out to the City of CT for building alterations at Patricia de Lille's house between 2016 and 2017.
CAPE TOWN – The African National Congress (ANC) plans to approach the Public Protector to investigate allegations that Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille used public money to renovate her home.
Earlier this week, de Lille issued a statement saying she paid for renovations at her house - and that she has proof.
The ANC, however, claims to have invoices made out to the City of Cape Town for building alterations at de Lille's house between 2016 and 2017.
On Thursday, the City of Cape Town's speaker issued a statement saying Council paid R451,000 only for security installations at de Lille's house.
These safety measures were prescribed by police after a security risk assessment.
But the ANC's Xolani Sotashe says more upgrades were done with taxpayer's money, without Council approval.
Sotashe says he has invoices from 2016 and 2017.
“We want to make things easier for the Public Protector, she must not come to the City of Cape Town and scratch her head. We’re going to attach documentation and submit to her office and then we’re going to request her to investigate this matter.”
The Office of the Speaker has welcomed the ANC's plan to report the matter to the Public Protector.