Hout Bay boy shot in the face doing well – doctors
Ona Dubula was caught up in the protest by Hangberg fishermen, a video of police shooting him with a rubber bullet went viral on social media.
CAPE TOWN – Doctors say the little boy who was shot in the face during last month’s Hout Bay protests is doing well.
Ona Dubula was caught up in the protest by Hangberg fishermen, a video of police shooting him with a rubber bullet went viral on social media and sparked widespread outrage.
Little Ona and his mother spoke on CapeTalk sister station KFM on Friday morning.
He described what happened the day he was shot.
“When they were coming to us, there was shooting and then they shot that lady and the bullet also hit me and then they shot me again. I didn’t do anything wrong.”
To help the Dubula family get back on its feet KFM has pledged R5,000 a month for a year.
Within minutes of the interview on air, Ona’s mother Pinky Dubula was offered a job at a local restaurant.
LISTEN: Ona's mother, Pinky, chats to the KFM Mornings team
At the same time, Dubula says her son is struggling to sleep at night.
She said: “I was at home and then someone called me. They told me that my son was shot.”
The Independent Police Investigative Directorate launched an attempted murder investigation following the incident.
On the day of the shooting, his mother had sent him to a relative.
Little Ona said: “They shot those guys and I went under that chair. I peed when they shot me. I felt the pain of the shot. They shot me in the mouth under the tongue. Sometimes I wake up and my mother tells me, ‘Sorry, sorry my child you didn’t do anything.’”