SA Rugby ups ante to host 2023 Rugby World Cup
On Monday a high-level government delegation will join SA Rugby bosses to present the bid to World Rugby’s executive committee.
JOHANNESBURG – SA Rugby says South Africa has offered more financial guarantees than required to prove that the country should host the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
On Monday a high-level delegation, which includes deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, Sports Minister Thulas Nxesi and deputy Minister Gert Oosthuizen, will join SA Rugby bosses to present the bid to World Rugby’s executive committee.
President Jacob Zuma asked Ramaphosa to lead Team South Africa, as Zuma himself spent the last week in New York for the United Nations General Assembly.
SA Rugby’s Tsholo Kubheka says: “Minimum bid entry is £120 million. We looked at our economy, our currency and to really compete and be on the same level with the French and Irish we had to sit at £160 million as a guarantee.
“We also topped that up by buying certain commercial rights as a guarantee to our rugby.”
South Africa is bidding against Ireland and France for the rights to host the tournament.
Rugby World Cup will announce their preferred candidate on 31 October and that recommendation will be put to a vote on 15 November.