Brian Molefe expected to return to Eskom
The parastatal’s board decided to rescind its decision to give him a R30 million pension payout.
JOHANNESBURG – The Eskom board has confirmed that former CEO Brian Molefe will return to the power utility following a dispute about his pension payout.
Questions were raised about a R30 million payout after Molefe resigned as CEO last year, following the Public Protector’s State of Capture report.
That report showed that he had been in constant contact with the Gupta family while they were buying a coal mine that supplies Eskom.
Eskom’s Khulani Qoma says the board remains confident that Molefe’s pension payout was legitimate but Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown asked them to review it.
“All this is happening on the basis of what the minister requested. The minister had already made her intentions very clear that she wasn’t happy with this payout.”
The board then decided that a mutually acceptable option would be to offer Molefe his job back and he is now returning to Eskom from Monday.
The Financial Mail’s Sikonathi Mantshantsha says Molefe worked at Eskom for 18 months and only six months in the past financial year.
“He walked away with double the amount that Brian [Dames] gained before him had received after 27 years of service.”
He has resigned as a Member of Parliament, which comes into effect from Sunday.
Last year, Molefe resigned saying it was in the interest of good governance following allegations in the Public Protector’s State of Capture report.
LISTEN: Brian Molefe to return as Eskom CEO