Motsoeneng’s disciplinary hearing set to start on Wednesday
Interim SABC board chairperson Khanyisile Kweyama says the charges will be based on former public protector Thuli Madonsela’s report.
PARLIAMENT - Former South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) chief operating officer (COO) Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s long-delayed disciplinary hearing is set to start on Wednesday next week.
Interim SABC board chairperson Khanyisile Kweyama says the charges will be based on former public protector Thuli Madonsela’s report, which the SABC will no longer be taking on review.
Kweyama says Motsoeneng will face a second disciplinary hearing in connection with the press conference he stayed last month, where he attacked the interim board and Parliament’s inquiry into the SABC.
Kweyama and other SABC interim board members have been briefing Parliament’s Communications Committee.
The interim SABC board has overturned the previous board’s decision to challenge Madonsela’s report in court.
Kweyama says the interim board is also reviewing who will chair and who will lead evidence in the hearing after being presented with names already chosen.
“We need to do our own investigation to ensure that, first, the charge sheet is drawn up properly.”
The Western Cape High Court last year declared Motsoeneng unfit to hold any position at the SABC until Madonsela’s report was set aside on review or a fresh disciplinary hearing cleared him.
(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)