Motsoeneng supporters demand answers from SABC board
The Citizens Action Campaign marched to Auckland Park on Thursday, demanding the removal of the interim board.
JOHANNESBURG - Supporters of former South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng have given the public broadcaster seven days to respond to a memorandum which calls for his reinstatement.
The Citizens Action Campaign marched to Auckland Park on Thursday demanding the removal of the interim board.
In March the National Assembly unanimously approved the members of the board, including veteran journalist Mathatha Tsedu.
The campaign's Ntsako Shivambu says: "Mathatha Tsedu was quoted as saying that the 90% local content policy on SABC is a stupid position. So what he is telling our people is that they’re stupid and we don’t agree with that."
Dozens of local musicians have also publicly supported Motsoeneng's 90% local content rule which he implemented last year, saying the rule has benefited them over the past year.
During a recent media briefing, Motsoeneng criticised reports that his 90% local content rule had resulted in a drop in audience figures. Local artists who attended the briefing agreed with him.
He said: “There’s a decline in SABC audience; I want to know by how much and who did the research. I’ve checked the reports that say because of local content the public broadcaster did not do well … and those reports indicated a 1% or 2% decline, how can you cry about 2%?”
WATCH: The misunderstood Hlaudi Motsoeneng: I'm innocent & adored
(Edited by Shimoney Regter)