Derek Hanekom: SA, be positive
The Tourism Minister was one of five ministers who lost their positions in President Zuma's Cabinet reshuffle.
JOHANNESBURG - Derek Hanekom, who was axed as tourism minister, has reacted to the news on social media by telling South Africans to be positive.
Hanekom, who was appointed to the position in 2014, bravely tabled a motion of no confidence in President Jacob Zuma last year and it may have cost him his job.
He was one of five ministers who lost their positions in the executive, with a total of 20 ANC MPs receiving new posts in Cabinet as part of Zuma's reshuffle.
Sixty-four-year-old old Hanekom, who was born in Cape Town, joined the ANC in 1980 and was involved in underground political work before serving time in jail and living in exile for three years.
He has served as deputy minister and minister of science and technology.
Hanekom reacted to his dismissal with a positive tone, saying no reasons were given but that it was a privilege to serve South Africa.
Hanekom says tourism has great potential and that he tried his best.
Thank you. It was a privilege to serve and I truly enjoyed working with the Industry. Tourism has huge potential. https://t.co/LYEf5EmkXR— Derek Hanekom (@Derek_Hanekom) March 30, 2017
Last year, Hanekom filed a motion of no confidence against Zuma and is said to have broken ranks with the president’s supporters.
The former minister has indicated that he has no intention of resigning as an MP.