ANC turns to Press Ombudsman over alleged Gupta-Nene plot
The article said members of the Gupta family offered Jonas the then-finance minister Nene’s job.
JOHANNESBURG - The African National Congress (ANC) has confirmed it's submitted a joint complaint to the Press Ombudsman against the Sunday Times newspaper for its article about the party's Deputy Secretary General Jessie Duarte allegedly offering Mcebisi Jonas the post of finance minister.
It further states that the deputy minister had been offered the position twice, first by the Guptas at a Sandton hotel in November, and again a few days later by Duarte.
The ANC's Khusela Sangoni says the Sunday Times article, titled How the Guptas shopped for new minister, sought to undermine the authority of President Zuma and challenges the reputation of Duarte.
"The story was intended to undermine the authority of the president of the Republic who is the only person with the prerogative to appoint to Cabinet. So this seeks to challenge a narrative of ANC leadership that is controlled by the Guptas."
Sangoni says the ruling party would like to once against reiterate that it's not controlled by the Gupta family.
"It is totally not true and we reject it with the contempt it deserves."
She has also denied that Duarte offered the position to Jonas.