Email a Friend
Duarte to submit phone records after alleged ties to Gupta-Nene plot
Jessie Duarte is implicated in a 'Sunday Times' report about former minister Nhlanhla Nene’s sacking.
JOHANNESBURG – The African National Congress (ANC) says Deputy Secretary General Jessie Duarte plans to submit her phone records to prove she did not offer the finance minister position to Mcebisi Jonas a week before former Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene was fired. Nene was suddenly fired in December, a week after he told the South African Airways Chair Dudu Myeni she should not go ahead with a planned new deal with Airbus.
This follows a Sunday Times report that the Gupta family offered Jonas the job on condition that he promote nuclear energy and purge National Treasury of four senior officials.
The ANC says it has not yet been able to confirm with Jonas whether the meeting took place as he is away on business in Botswana.
Spokesperson Zizi Kodwa says Duarte’s name is being used to legitimise a false story.
“She will provide the Press Ombudsman with her phone records to show that she never called him previously, but equally that she would not have done so to make that offer. The inclusion of her name was nothing else but to legitimise gossip.”
(Edited by Tamsin Wort)
Nene was suddenly fired in December, a week after he told the South African Airways Chair Dudu Myeni she should not go ahead with a planned new deal with Airbus.According to anonymous sources quoted by the newspaper, Jonas denied the offer, which was put to him again by Duarte a week later.
Boy (10) dies after being hit by bakkie near Worcester
Nxesi insists he cooperated with Treasury's Nkandla probe
'Black people were created to be servants'
Racist KZN guest house owner charged with crimen injuria, tax evasion
Authorities 'hot on the heels' of prison escapees
NGOs, media & unions to lead protest against SABC policies