UCT offers R100k reward for alleged serial rapist
This is an attempt by UCT for info leading to the arrest of the suspected Rhodes Memorial attacker.
CAPE TOWN - The University of Cape Town (UCT) has offered a reward of R100,000 for information leading to the arrest and successful prosecution of the Rhodes Memorial attacker.
It follows the rape of yet another student in the vicinity in recent weeks.
A 28-year-old woman was attacked while jogging along the bicycle path near the Princess Anne Drive Bridge on Tuesday evening.
She was raped and held captive for more than 24 hours before managing to flee Wednesday night.
Her attacker then allegedly forced her to walk to the nearest garage, where she managed to break free and call the police.
At least five women have been attacked since November.
Earlier this year, police said they hadn't ruled out the possibility a serial rapist.
The police's Andre Traut said, "The circumstances surrounding the case are being investigated. The victim, a 28-year-old, female was attacked by a suspect on Tuesday evening in Newlands forest."
UCT Vice Chancellor Max Price said they are working closely with authorities to bring the perpetrator to book.
The woman is recovering in hospital.
COPS RELEASE UCT RAPE SUSPECT'S IDENTITY
Last month, police released the identity of a 44-year-old man wanted in connection with the rape near Rhodes Memorial.
A warrant for Patrick Hlomane, also known as Mthunzi Makhamba, arrest was issued following an attack on a young woman in November.
The man has been described as well-spoken who engages his victims in conversation before attacking them.
The police's Andre Traut said the possibility that the suspect could be linked to other attacks in the area is being investigated.
Anyone with any information is urged to contact Campus Protection Services: 021-650-2226.