Email a Friend
At least 20 dead in siege by suspected Islamists at Burkina Faso hotel
Others were taken hostage an attack for which al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed responsibility.
OUAGADOUGOU – At least 20 people died and others were taken hostage when Islamist gunmen stormed a hotel in the capital city of Burkina Faso on Friday, a hospital director said, an attack for which al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed responsibility.
Security forces in the early hours of Saturday began an assault to reclaim the Splendid Hotel and entered its lobby, part of which was on fire, a Reuters witness said. The hotel is frequented by Westerners, which may have made it a target.
It is the first time militants carried out an assault in the capital of Burkina Faso and it comes as a setback to efforts by African governments, France and the United States to prevent attacks that have destabilised the region.
It follows a raid on a luxury hotel in Mali last November in which two attackers killed 20 people, including citizens of Russia, China and the United States. There have been attacks by militants in other countries in West Africa in recent years and the vast majority of those killed have been Africans.
"We have received around 15 wounded people. There are people with bullet wounds and people who are injured because of falls," said Robert Sangare, director of Ouagadougou's university hospital centre.
Sangare said one European woman being treated at the hospital told him the attackers appeared to target white people.
The hotel is sometimes used by French troops with Operation Barkhane, a force based in Chad and set up to combat Islamist militants across West Africa's vast, arid Sahel region.
A US defines official said France, the former colonial power, had requested US intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance support in the city, and at least one US military member in Burkina Faso was giving "advice and assistance" to French forces at the hotel.
The government has not ruled out calling for help from French Special Forces stationed in the country, Burkina Faso Foreign Minister Alpha Barry told Reuters.
The assault began around 8.30 p.m. local time, and the attackers torched cars and fired in the air to drive people back from the building. There was an intense gun battle followed by at least an hour of relative quiet, in part as security forces prepared their bid to recapture the hotel.
"We had just opened and there were a few customers we started to serve when we heard gunshots. ... There were three men shooting in the air," said Vital Nounayon, a waiter at a restaurant across the street from the hotel.
"Lots of people left their cars and motorcycles and ran. (Attackers) set fire to the vehicles. They also fired on the Cappuccino Restaurant across from the hotel before setting it on fire," he said, adding that the attackers wore turbans.
Medical personnel moved the wounded away from the front of the hotel and one civilian was shot dead as the assault began around midnight, a Reuters witness said.
Burkina Faso, which is religiously diverse, with a population around 60 percent Muslim, according to government figures, has endured political turmoil since October 2014 when long-time President Blaise Compaore was overthrown during mass protests. Elite troops launched a one-week coup in September 2015.
But the landlocked West African state has been largely spared violence by Islamist militants, who have staged attacks in Mali, a country with which it shares a 600-km border.
The attack presents a significant challenge to President Roch Marc Kabore, who was elected in November as Burkina Faso's first new leader in decades.
Three Islamist groups including AQIM and al Mourabitoun claimed responsibility for the Mali hotel attack, the most prominent by militants who are based in the north of the country and have staged a series of attacks over the last year.
Al Mourabitoun was also involved in the attack in Burkina Faso, according to the SITE intelligence group.
Earlier on Friday, the Ministry of Defence said about 20 armed men killed a gendarme and a civilian in an attack on the village of Tin Abao in northern Burkina Faso. It was unclear whether the attack had been waged by militants.
French Ambassador Gilles Thibault said he had been informed that a curfew would be in place from 11 p.m. local time Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday. France normally has up to 200 Special Forces troops in the country.
The embassy in December warned French citizens against traveling to a national park in eastern Burkina Faso after reports that Malian jihadists were threatening to kidnap.
Around 50 unidentified gunmen attacked a Burkina Faso gendarmerie brigade near the western border with Mali in October 2015, killing three in an attack the government at the time blamed on the leaders of a failed coup one month before.
Islamist militants have staged attacks in a number of West African states bordering the Sahel in recent years.
Boko Haram have killed thousands in north-eastern Nigeria during a six year insurgency and in 2015 extended its attacks into neighbouring countries Chad, Niger and Cameroon.
Brazil's Senate begins Rousseff's impeachment trial
US Navy ship fires warning shots at Iranian vessel
Turkey fires on US-backed Kurdish militia in Syria offensive
Sarkozy tells comeback rally he would ban burkini in France
Zim court to decide on opposition march today
How much should we tell kids about their own health?