Charlotte Maxeke sacks resident engineer after lengthy blackout
The engineer was apparently aware part of the generators needed to be repaired, but didn't tell anyone.
The power went out at the hospital and its surrounding areas on Sunday night and generators failed to kick in.
Patients were transferred to nearby hospitals, including the Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital and some private hospitals.
Electricity was fully restored by yesterday afternoon.
Mahlangu says the engineer at Charlotte Maxeke was fully aware that an important part of the generators needed to be repaired, but failed to inform authorities.
She says he was immediately dismissed because he was negligent and endangered people's lives.
Weve taken action to remove the person on site because he was posing risks to the health workers and to the patients who come to our health services.
She says the department will soon embark on the process of replacing the engineer.
Weve asked him not to return to the hospital. Well look for a new resident engineer because he was negligent.
Mahlangu says she will be meeting with management and heads of department for an update this morning.
She says the department has procured thousands of litres of diesel for its generators at Charlotte Maxeke following the blackout.