SSA robbery case postponed to next week
A second suspect has appeared in court on charges of theft after R17 million was stolen from the SSA.
JOHANNESBURG - A second man accused of multi-million rand theft at the State Security Agency (SSA) has made a brief appearance in the Pretoria Magistrates Court.
Accused one appeared in the dock last week.
The pair allegedly stole about R17 million in cash from the agency's high security headquarters in the east of Pretoria last month.
The initial amount of R50-million, as previously reported, was an unconfirmed estimate after the agency said a large amount had been stolen. At the time it declined to disclose an exact amount.
Myaku Mmotong has been charged with the theft.
While the charge sheet lists the value of the money he allegedly stole, it's still unclear how he and accused one, Khayalethu Mgatyelwa, allegedly pulled it off.
The defence advocate told the court that today was the first time he was able to consult with Mmotong since his arrest on Friday, because the police allegedly denied him access to his client.
The matter has been postponed until Tuesday when the accused will decide whether they intend launching a bail application.
The Hawks have confirmed that the theft of millions of rands from the state security agency was in fact an inside job.
While the details of how Mgatelwa and Mmotong allegedly tried to pull off their brazen burglary are not yet know, the Hawks' Hangwani Mulaudzi says the accused were familiar with the SSA's headquarters.
"We can confirm that the two are employees at the SSA; one is a security officer and the other is a driver to the director general at SSA."
Mulaudzi says their investigation is continuing because more people may have been involved.