Bail hearing for Poortman’s alleged killers postponed
Four men stand accused stabbing Captain Kenneth Poortman to death, before dumping his body, last week.
JOHANNESBURG - The bail application of the four men accused of murdering a Pretoria policeman has been postponed until next week because their advocate withdrew at the last minute.
The men allegedly stabbed Captain Kenneth Poortman to death before dumping his body along the Mabopane Highway last Sunday.
While three of the accused were arrested within hours of the discovery, a fourth suspect was arrested over the weekend.
The defence advocate told the court he is withdrawing from the case because he received improper instructions, which meant the accused have been left without legal representation.
Three of the men told the court they would apply for bail with the help of legal aid, while accused number four says he won't apply for bail because he is a Zimbabwean living in South Africa illegally.
Chief Magistrate Desmond Nair told the four accused that they face a schedule six offence, which required that they show exceptional circumstances to permit their release on bail.
He says if the accused are found guilty of murdering the policeman, they could spend the rest of their lives in prison.