Mecca crane collapse: Injured will continue with Hajj
Authorities will provide special vehicles to enable injured pilgrims to still attend the mandatory Hajj.
MECCA - Saudi Arabian authorities say they will provide special vehicles to enable pilgrims, who were injured when a crane collapsed on Friday, to still attend this year's Hajj.
A total of 107 people were killed and about 280 were injured when a construction crane collapsed onto pilgrims praying in the Haram below.
Saudi Arabia's King Salman visited various hospitals in Mecca where injured pilgrims are being treated.
The king has ordered that vehicles be equipped with all the necessary medical equipment, along with well-trained staff, to make sure all patients can attend the mandatory pilgrimage.
He has also vowed to find out exactly what caused the incident which occurred during bad weather.
During the Hajj, pilgrims travel to various sites in the kingdom.
Millions of pilgrims will attend the Hajj this year, which will begin on 22 September.
INJURED PILGRIMS DISCHARGED
Health officials say 95 of the people injured have been discharged from hospital.
The General Directorate for Health Affairs says the nationalities of those killed are slowly being released with reports of Britons, Indians, Malaysians and Pakistanis being among those who lost their lives.
No South Africans are among the fatalities.
Reports say health officials were swift in dealing with the tragedy as they have been trained to handle such situations during the hajj.
Meanwhile the Meteorology Department in Saudi Arabia says the bad weather in the Mecca is likely to continue until Tuesday.
A warning about the weather was issued on Thursday last week, a day before the crane collapsed.