Email a Friend
KZN xenophobia: 14-year-old boy shot dead
The boy was killed during an apparent confrontation between guards & a group looting foreign-owned shops.
DURBAN – It has emerged that two security guards have been arrested in connection with the shooting of a 14-year-old boy in KwaMashu, KwaZulu-Natal (KZN).
After a day of running battles in the inner city the area fell quiet at night. SITUATION CALM
The boy was shot dead during what appears to have been a confrontation between the guards and a group that were looting a foreign-owned store in the area.
Six people, including the boy, were killed in a wave of attacks on foreign nationals in several parts of KZN including KwaMashu and Umlazi over the past two weeks.
The latest flare-up of xenophobic violence in the province saw violent clashes in the city’s CBD on Tuesday afternoon.
By midnight, the CBD streets were all but empty, as were the nearby suburbs.
The owner of a security company with a big presence in KwaMashu says two of his guards were taken into custody after the teen was shot dead.
“They were facing a situation where the crowd were throwing stones at them, and some shots were fired. They responded with some warning shots. Four shots were fired in the direction of my guard, and he responded with two shots. It’s believed the boy was shot from one of these two shots.”
He says they're due to appear in court today.
“The boy was with the attackers. According to the guards, he was on the roof and the shots were coming from that direction.”
The owner says virtually all of the 110 foreign-owned shops they protect have been abandoned, and he believes Tuesday night remained peaceful because those behind the attacks felt they had accomplished their mission.
WATCH: Massive police presence in Durban CBD
The situation is calm in Durban this morning following Tuesday’s protests that saw thousands of foreign nationals barricade Mahatma Gandhi Road during clashes with locals.
Police had to use water cannons, tear gas and stun guns in a bid to defuse tensions.
This morning, debris still lies scattered on Mahatma Gandhi Road.
As authorities prepare for what could be another day of violence in the city police are currently being briefed on safety procedures while out on patrol.
They’re being told to be safe, be on high alert and to be aware of projectiles such as rocks and petrol bombs.
So far no major incidents have been reported overnight.
(Edited by Tamsin Wort)
After a day of running battles in the inner city the area fell quiet at night.
N2 near airport in Cape Town closed due to violent protest action
#VuwaniProtests: Around 2,000 matriculants to play catch-up
#RandReport: Rand stretches recovery, stocks up as gold miners shine
Safrea: SABC top guns must be held accountable
Over 8,000 candidates who wanted to contest local govt elections disqualified
Dark days over as Eskom gets a grip on electricity crisis... for now