WC anti-crime campaigns kick off

A number of festive season campaigns have been launched in the WC ahead of the festive season. Picture: EWN
|
CAPE TOWN – Western Cape police say a number of operations targeting known crime dens will be carried out as part of their festive season anti-crime drive.

Police on Thursday launched operation ‘Vas Vat’ and operation ‘Tsilela’, which will run simultaneously over the holiday period.

The police’s Norman Modishana says there’ll be a sharp increase in visible policing.

“We are looking more in terms of the crime patterns. We find that crimes happen at specific times.”

ILLEGAL TAVERNS  

The province’s police are also keeping a watchful eye on taverns and the illegal trading of liquor.

Earlier this week a third shebeen in Cape Town lost its licence under the province’s new liquor law. 

It’s understood drugs were being sold at the Rainbow tavern in Woodstock.

The Western Cape Economic Development Department has warned it will show no mercy if unscrupulous tavern owners continue to operate outside the law.

MEC Alan Winde said, “If they’re in the legal space, we would ask that they trade responsibly. They will be inspected. At the same time, we’re in conversation with the police to move in and close down if it is illegal.”

He says his department is approaching with a clear message.

“The message is: we want responsible trading, specifically going into the festive season. We need to make sure it’s a safe season. Be responsible, whether trading or using alcohol.”

ROADBLOCKS

A series of roadblocks will be held in a bid to crack down on, among other offences, drunk driving.

Patrols will also be conducted in hotspot crime areas including Long Street.

Metro Police Chief Wayne Le Roux said, “Part of our festive season planning is to put an emphasis on arterial routes, people coming into the city and the transportation of drugs. This won’t only be over weekends, but during the week as well.”

SEATBELTS

The Red Cross Children’s Hospital says there's a simple way to prevent children from sustaining severe head injuries in road accidents, namely buckle them up.

Child Safe, a hospital initiative, has joined forces with the Western Cape Transport Department in launching a road safety campaign ahead of the festive period.

‘It only takes a second to save a life’ was launched in Bellville on Thursday and has seen the unveiling of billboards calling on the motorists to buckle up.

The hospital’s Sebastian van As says, “If we look at the statistics at Red Cross every year, we see about 200 children who were thrown out of the car and 90 percent of them were not buckled up. It’s a complete tragedy because it’s preventable.”

(Edited by Tamsin Wort)