CAPE TOWN - Western Cape health authorities say a four-month-old baby girl who was raped on a farm in Ceres is recovering in hospital.
The infant is believed to have been sexually assaulted along with a seven-year-old boy at the weekend.
The department has told Eyewitness News the infant remains in a stable condition in hospital.
The department says the baby girl was admitted to the Red Cross Children’s Hospital on Saturday where she has already undergone surgery.
Hospital spokesperson Lauren O'Connor-May says they are not sure how long she will be in hospital for.
“She has had to undergo surgery twice so far.”
So far no one has been arrested in connection with the incident.
Police have also refused to give any further details surrounding the incident as they fear it could hamper their investigation.
The police's Andre Traut says, “The circumstances surrounding the rape of a seven-year-old boy as well as a four-month-old baby girl are being investigated. No one has been arrested as yet.”
Several women and children have been raped since the beginning of the year. According to statistics, a person is raped every four minutes in South Africa.
Meanwhile, a police officer is out on bail for allegedly raping a 14-year-old girl in Paarl. Warrant officer Anthony Gouws has pleaded not guilty to five counts of rape of a minor.
The victim’s mother found out about the incidents after she read an inappropriate message Gouws had sent her daughter.
At the same time, Minister for Women, Children and People with Disabilities Lulu Xingwana has condemned the rape scourge.
Xingwana has called for harsher penalties for rapists.
(Edited by Lindiwe Mlandu)