Email a Friend
MEC probes alleged assault of blind busker
MEC says the incident is being viewed in a serious light as vulnerable residents should be protected.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Community Safety MEC Dan Plato said an investigation will be launched into the alleged assault of a blind musician allegedly at the hands of Metro Police officers.
The entertainer was apparently manhandled by the officers on Tuesday afternoon at Greenmarket Square apparently because he didn't have a permit to busk at that particular time.
Eyewitnesses said the man, who regularly performs in the square, was forcibly removed and his guitar damaged.
Plato said the incident is being viewed in a serious light.
“For five, six or seven officers to act against a blind person is not on. However, we don’t want to draw our own conclusions and anticipate the outcomes. Let’s have a full scale investigation.”
He said vulnerable residents should be protected.
“If their well-being is being infringed upon or they feel unsafe they can complain to government and we will investigate and make sure that we make them as comfortable as possible.”
Police have been in the spotlight over the past few years for cases of alleged brutality against members of the public.
In April, video footage of a policeman assaulting a woman in the Free State went viral.
The off-duty policeman could be seen kicking the unarmed woman.
Also earlier this year, Mozambican national Mido Macia was handcuffed to the back of a police van and dragged through the streets of Daveyton on Gauteng’s East Rand.
(Edited by Tamsin Wort)
Memorial service held for three Wellington fisherman
Truck hijackings a major concern for Gauteng police
Heatwave: Gauteng warned of ‘extremely hot’ weekend
Jeff Radebe: Business has to help South Africa develop
Eskom 'can't guarantee' a load shedding free weekend
Cops appeal for public assistance following PTA 'road rage' shooting