Pistorius called paramedics - lawyer

Gerrie Nel, the state prosecutor in Oscar Pistorius’s premeditated murder case. Picture: Sapa.

PRETORIA - Oscar Pistorius's defence team on Wednesday said the Paralympian called for help after he shot his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his Pretoria home on Valentine's Day.

But the phone the Olympic and Paralympic star used to call emergency personnel was not seized on the day of the shooting.

The athlete, nicknamed the Blade Runner, is applying for bail in the Pretoria Magistrates Court. 

In Pistorius’s affidavit read in court on Tuesday, he said he mistook Steenkamp for an intruder.

He faces a premeditated murder charge - a schedule six offence under the Criminal Procedures Act.

Defence advocate Barry Roux on Wednesday said they had a phone belonging to Pistorius, which showed he called for an ambulance at 3:20am on the morning in question.

Investigating officer Hilton Botha said he was unaware of that phone, but said he could not dispute the claim. 

He earlier testified that four phones seized at the scene showed no records of calls made to paramedics or the police.

But Roux said records would show Pistorius called the estate’s management. 

He said there was a statement from a security guard called by Pistorius, which said he heard the athlete crying. 

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel hit back at the defence team, saying while they knew they had the phone, they never offered it to the investigators. 


Pistorius's defence team also raised the issue that Botha entered the crime scene without protective covers over his shoes.

Botha conceded that he contaminated the scene because police had run out of the covers and said he needed to fetch something in the house. 

Roux also put it on record that their own forensic team discovered a bullet inside the toilet bowl, something not found by the police's investigators.

Botha further conceded that his claims about Pistorius's location when he pulled the trigger were without substance, because he had not received a forensics report.

The matter has been postponed until Thursday for final argument.