Anene Booysen’s alleged killers due in court
The three men being accused of Anene Booysen's murder will appear in court on Tuesday.
BREDASDORP - The three men being accused of Bredasdorp teenager Anene Booysen's murder will return to the Bredasdorp Magistrate’s court on Tuesday.
Booysen (17) was gang-raped and mutilated in her hometown on 2 February.
She was found by security guards at a construction site in Overberg town and managed to name one of her alleged attackers before dying in hospital.
Jonathan Davids (22) and Johannes Kana (21) are due to step into the dock in courtroom G25 this morning, facing charges of rape and murder.
Kana was arrested last week, while Davids was arrested a few days before.
A third man was arrested, but later released after further police investigation.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has indicated it will oppose any bail applications.
Its spokesperson, Eric Ntabazalila, said there was evidence linking both men to the attack on Anene.
But he declined to divulge any further information, saying the details of the accused’s alleged involvement would emerge as the court case progressed.
Relatives have described Kana as a “quite, young man” and expressed shock he had been linked to Booysen’s murder.
The suspect is said to have been close with the deceased.
Booysen's rape and murder has forced South Africans to do some introspection and seek to actively fight the scourge.
'NPA FIGHTING DOZENS OF RAPE CASES'
Meanwhile, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says it deals with dozens of cases each month similar to the Booysen case.
The NPA adds at some courts there are between 25 and 30 such cases on the roll each week.
In Mitchell's Plain, 16 sexual assault and murder matters were heard in the last week alone.
NPA's Eric Ntabazalia said these incidents were worrying.
“We as the NPA are prioritising all rape cases. From the President to NGO’s, there is outrage in the country.”