Cooper was ready to walk away
Australian fly-half Quade Cooper says he was ready to walk away from the national team.
CAPE TOWN - Australian fly-half Quade Cooper on Tuesday told Eyewitness News Sport he had made peace with the fact that his career in the rugby union appeared to be over just a week ago.
The star fly-half had turned down what he considered a derisory offer from the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and was considering other options, including a switch to league, before he signed a new and improved two-year deal last week to keep him in the sport.
He will also fight on the undercard of the Sonny Bill Williams-Francois Botha fight in February, as he looks to pursue a career in the ring.
Cooper said a week ago he was ready to walk away from the sport.
I must say it was really close and Im very happy that Im now here for another two years.
Cooper said he had mentally prepared to move on after the ARU's initial offer.
My future in rugby was pretty much very uncertain. I was saying I was not going to continue with rugby from that point because the contract that I was offered at the time was not satisfactory.
Cooper still hopes to play in the league in the future.
Im always looking for a new challenge hence Ive taken up boxing. Im looking to challenge myself outside of rugby. I really wanted to play in the league and hopefully in the next few years Ill get that opportunity.