Email a Friend
'No confidence' debate takes new turn
Max Sisulu's lawyers have now filed papers after the Chief Justice requested answers.
CAPE TOWN - National Assembly Speaker Max Sisulu on Wednesday responded to Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng’s request for answers about the urgency of debating a motion of no confidence against President Jacob Zuma.
Parliament spokesperson Luzuko Jacobs said Sisulu's lawyers filed papers on Wednesday.
“Correspondence was received from the office of the Chief Justice relating to the case brought up at the Constitutional Court.”
Earlier this month, eight opposition parties tabled a motion of no confidence in Zuma, but due to resistance from the ANC, the matter wasn't scheduled for debate in the National Assembly before the house broke for recess.
Democratic Alliance Parliamentary Leader Lindiwe Mazibuko turned to the Constitutional Court after the High Court said it was not able to force the National Speaker to schedule the debate last week.
Judge Dennis Davis ruled that while the opposition does have the right to bring the application, it is not up to the courts to decide when the debate should happen.
Davis added there is no question that there is a constitutional right for the debate and that it is a matter of urgency.
ANC Chief Whip Mathole Motshekga told the media that their offer to debate the motion of no-confidence in February still stands.
(Edited by Tamsin Wort)
Three men set alight in alleged mob attack in George
Fire breaks out at Sable Square shopping complex in CT
6 die, 1 survives Wallacedene shack fire
Citizens, media groups vow to keep protesting against SABC censorship
Pro-Palestine marchers commemorate al-Quds day
#RandReport: Rand firms as leading central banks seen keeping rates low