Sexwale seeks lawful solution in Lenasia
Minister Tokyo Sexwale said Lenasia residents must speak up against those who sold them land illegally.
JOHANNESBURG - Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale on Wednesday said no unlawful solution will be agreed upon to resolve the Lenasia demolition saga.
He addressed the first meeting of the Special Lenasia Intervention Team on the demolitions.
This after more than 80 structures were torn down earlier in November, because the houses were built on government-owned land sold illegally through an alleged syndicate.
The special team was set up Sexwale this week, days after the Gauteng Housing Department and the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) agreed to discuss an out-of-court settlement.
Earlier this month, the commission approached the South Gauteng High Court to argue that the demolitions violated the residents' right to dignity.
Both parties are now meeting with Lenasia residents for the very first time, including those who support the demolitions in the southern Johannesburg community.
Sexwale acknowledged that the process was not going to be easy.
He called on the innocent to speak up and expose those who sold them land illegally.