JOHANNESBURG - Chanelle Henning murder accused Andre Gouws has again succeeded in delaying proceedings, this time he has complained about prison conditions.
The trial of Gouws and Ambrose Monye finally got underway on Tuesday after more than a week of postponements.
Henning was shot dead moments after dropping off her son at school in Faerie Glen last November.
Gouws on Wednesday morning complained how he is unable to sleep and prepare for the case which undermines his constitutional rights.
He said fellow inmates at his Pretoria Central Prison’s communal cell smoke drugs and that he was also not being fed properly.
Defence advocate said he was instructed by Gouws to bring an urgent application compelling Correctional Services to place his client in a single cell.
Prosecutor Gerrie Nel suggested a break while parties negotiate a solution.
Judge Johan Kruger agreed.
The matter resumes on Wednesday afternoon.
Five days of trial were lost last week because Gouws fired his lawyer just days before proceedings were scheduled to start.
On Tuesday, the man convicted murderer of the murder took the stand.
Willem Pieterse told the court that he killed Henning.
He said the hit was commissioned by Monye.
(Edited by Lindiwe Mlandu)